Thursday, August 19, 2010

Little Jars of Sunshine

Did you know that canning can be one of the most gratifying process in the world? It's so exciting to me that we can take some of the God's beautiful summer creations and pack them away like little jars of sunshine for the long winter months. And even better yet, when you do it correctly you hear the most wonderful and gratifying sound to confirm your work was not in vein. Each little jar goes "tink" (or clink, pink, ping depending on your perspective) telling you that your hard work has paid off and your harvest is safely protected and ready for you to enjoy on a cold winter day. My sister equated the sound with things like jingle bells at Christmas and sprinklers on a hot summer afternoon and I think she is absolutely right!
So, here is photo documentation of the process because the Geysbeek's don't do anything without taking pictures of it. If you don't have a picture, how do you know it really even happened?
My mission was to take this...

and this...

put them in here...

and with any luck, get this!

And 12 out of 13 times, it's worked! I'm about half way there so hopefully my track record continues. It's really a bummer when you get this...
My husband thinks this is "one of the most complex and intense processes he's ever seen". I'm going to let him keep thinking that in order to preserve my status as the best wife ever and possibly bank some points for a day when I'm feeling slightly less "becky-homecky".



7 comments:

  1. I used to watch my Mom can, mostly tomatoes and peaches, and they always looked beautiful in the jar. She would put each piece in the jar "just so". Mine never looked like hers, even though they still tasted the same. Then life got busy (I don't know HOW you do it) Someday, maybe I will try again.

    I miss Mom and Dad's tomatoes ..... they, in her later years, worked together .... like a well oiled machine. That is what they gave all the children and grown grandchildren as Christmas gifts!! Growing their own first of course ... and they always planted WAY too many plants (good news for me of course)

    My son-in-law Jeff learned a very important lesson the first year ..... SAVE the jars. Mom and Dad stopped over in the late summer to pick up empties .... oops!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. I have a few blue ones that I just LOVE. I would be heart broken if the were recycled/thrown away. As you saw in the last photo, that is one of the ones that broke :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Becca! The pictures are beautiful. You will enjoy these all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky Homecky and Becky Blogeroo! this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Canning is something that intimidates me for some reason, although I've never tried it. Glad you could put some sunshine away for the upcoming cold and long wintery months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i checked back! :) for some reason i thought marbles! i was obviously wrong! haha You got a lot accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that a canning kitchen that could be rented out hourly would be a fabulous business idea.

    ReplyDelete