Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Putting Up: Vol 1

This year I have high hopes of preserving as much of the summers bounty as I can. Hehe, get it? As I CAN? Okay, bad joke. Anyway, I do plan to do a lot of canning/freezing so we can enjoy summers yumminess all year long.

Strawberries are officially ready and that means it's time to start on my preservation adventure. So, tonight I started with the really easy process of making freezer jam.
In case you havn't tried it before here's a few photos to show you how easy it really is.

Just combine Strawberries and sugar and mix.

Then, cook surejell with water on stovetop for 1 min.

Stir hot pectin into fruit and stir mixture for 3 more minutes.

Funnel into jars, lid and band jars.

Let the pretty little jars sit on the counter for 24 hours and pop into the freezer. That's it. I know, right! So much simpler than I imagined the process to be. This is my 3rd year making jam and my family loves it. It's so much better than store bought. So, go ahead. Run out and get some beautiful berries and tell yourself..."Of course I can can!"

2 comments:

  1. I love home made freezer jam! Bethany and I had a little adventure of our own last year, and it turned out very well, but the first year expenses of jars and such can be a bit pricey. Oh well! We're still enjoying last year's bounty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man you're just full of great little canning jokes! So when's the next brunch?!

    ReplyDelete